Monckton Chambers has many specialists in environmental law, who regularly advise and appear before domestic courts and the Community Courts on environmental law issues. The team is able to build upon our outstanding expertise in EU law to advise clients on the domestic impact of EU environmental legislation.
Members act for private clients and campaign groups, and also regularly act for the Environment Agency, the Department for Environment Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA), Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS) and local authorities.
Specific areas of expertise include:
- Access to environmental information
- Agriculture and fisheries
- Contaminated land
- The Convention on Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora
- Energy conservation
- Environmental impact assessments
- Environmental permits
- Environmental protection
- Greenhouse gas emissions trading
- Habitats and Wild Birds Directive
- The Kyoto Protocol
- Integrated pollution prevention and control
- Pesticides regulation
- State aid for environmental protection
- Waste management and landfill
- Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment Directive
Members of Monckton Chambers have appeared in the Administrative Court, Court of Appeal, Supreme Court and the European courts in a range of environmental law cases. Several members also regularly appear in the Information Tribunal in cases involving environmental information.