Monckton Chambers offers a wealth of experience in litigating and advising on State aid issues at every level, including the UK courts, the EU General Court and the ECJ. The State aid cases we have handled have traversed multiple contexts, including:
- Rescue and restructuring aid
- Aids to particular industries or regions
- Aids with environmental and social objectives
- Public procurement and public-private partnerships
- Complaints and notifications to the European Commission
- Appeals against Commission decisions
- Taxation and other business levies
- Bank bail-outs and the financial crisis
- Support for media, broadcasting and the arts
- Regeneration schemes and infrastructure projects
- Government investments in new high-tech industries
- Grants and contracts with charities and ‘third sector’ providers.
Our members are recognised as among the most sought-after State aid experts at the English Bar. We can offer intimate knowledge of the procedures of the European Commission and UK Government in relation to State aid matters, and we have litigated multiple State aid cases before the High Court, the Court of Appeal and the EU Courts.
Our expertise in related areas of law, such as Competition, Public, Procurement, Local Government and Taxation, means we are uniquely well placed to assist our clients in dealing with any State aid issue, no matter its complexity or the context in which it arises.
Members have over recent years advised and represented a wide range of private clients and central and local government bodies on a number of high profile state aid cases including cases arising out of the banking crisis, challenges to public funding of broadcasters, and public support for major infrastructure projects.
- State aids chapter of Bellamy & Child, European Community Law of Competition (6th ed.)
- State aid chapter of Competition Law of the European Community (ed. V Korah; LexisNexis)
- Contributions to the European State Aid Law Quarterly.