Monckton Chambers traces its roots back to the 1930s, when it was headed by Sir Walter Monckton KC (latterly Viscount Monckton of Brenchley), the leading figure of the 20thcentury from whom it now takes its name. Monckton served with great distinction as a soldier, then lawyer, politician and industrialist. As well as being recognised as one of the leading advocates of his day, he was adviser to Edward VIII during the abdication crisis of 1936, was appointed Solicitor-General in 1945, served as a Cabinet minister under both Churchill and Eden in the 1950s, and subsequently became chairman of Midland Bank.
In 1964, Chambers was one of the first to make the move to Gray’s Inn, and became established in its present form by Sir Brian McKenna KC.
In the 1970s a number of members of Chambers took a farsighted decision to specialise in the law of the European Economic Community, taking the view that this was an area of practice that had potential to grow. Out of that decision grew the leading EU and competition law practice for which Chambers is now best known.
In 1996 Chambers moved its location within Gray’s Inn and adopted the name of its distinguished former Head. Our present location at 1 Raymond Buildings was once home to the then solicitor’s clerk Charles Dickens.
Distinguished former members of Chambers include: Judge Christopher Vajda QC, Lord Justice Richards, Mr Justice Roth, Mr Justice Kenneth Parker, Lady Justice Rose, Sir Richard Buxton, Sir Jeremy Lever KCMG, QC and Sir Christopher Bellamy QC.