Members of Chambers are delighted to announce that Francis Hornyold-Strickland has joined Monckton Chambers as of today, Thursday 23rd November 2023.
Francis has a broad commercial practice, with a particular emphasis on international arbitration, civil fraud, shipping, and commodities disputes. Francis is recommended in the leading directories and, in 2024, has been described as:
- “He is incredibly intelligent and a brilliant barrister”(Chambers UK, 2024)
- “Francis is a confident, assertive and fluent advocate” (Legal 500, 2024)
- “Very dynamic, able to respond quickly, and provide assistance in every aspect of the work. He gets involved and adds a lot of value.” (Legal 500, 2024)
- “Francis is personable and has a great manner in explaining complicated matters in layman’s terms” (Legal 500, 2024)
- “An accomplished advocate despite his junior level. Responsive and hard working with a solution-oriented mindset.” (Legal 500, 2024)
- “Francis is very smart, a good advocate and offers great client service.”(Chambers UK, 2024)
- “He is user-friendly and very much a team player.” (Chambers UK, 2024)
Francis is regularly sought after for advice on particularly complex cases and has a thriving advisory and advocacy practice both in the English High Court and overseas, particularly in the Middle-East. He is co-author, with Professor Charles Debattista, of the practitioner text Debattista on Bills of Lading in Commodities Trade and the lead author of the website Strickland’s Shipping Guide. More recently, Francis has developed a busy practice in sanctions related work, particularly in light of the Russian Federation’s invasion of Ukraine. He is involved in several cases concerning UK, EU and US OFAC sanctions and their effect on contractual performance and termination.
Francis practices both as counsel and as arbitrator. He accepts arbitral appointments in both ad hoc and institutional arbitrations. As counsel he acts in a wide range of commercial disputes, both unled and led, in High Court litigation, and arbitration. He is familiar with all major international rules including: LCIA, DIAC, ICC, UNCITRAL, SIAC, HKIAC, the Swiss Arbitration Rules, and LMAA rules. Francis is also a registered practitioner in the DIFC Courts in Dubai and the ADGM Courts in Abu Dhabi, where he appears regularly including, most recently, in a US$160,000,000 anti-suit injunction in the ADGM.
Philip Moser KC , Joint Head of Chambers, welcomes Francis to Chambers, “Francis is the perfect addition to the Commercial and Arbitration group at Monckton Chambers, to meet existing client demand and grow commercial work further, at home and internationally – especially in the Middle East. His positive attitude and friendly nature will be appreciated by Monckton clients.”
Francis says, “I am delighted to be joining Monckton Chambers. The set is at the very top of its game both domestically and internationally. It also plays host to a lovely group of people. I look forward to helping reinforce Monckton’s commercial strengths over the years to come and to making many friends along the way.”
To view Francis’ full profile, please click here.