The Lord Chancellor has appointed Sir Christopher Bellamy QC to chair an independent review of the Criminal Legal Aid system.
Launching in January 2021, the far-reaching review will look at the criminal legal aid market in its entirety, and will seek to ensure that it:
· continues to provide high-quality legal advice and representation
· is provided through a diverse set of practitioners
· is appropriately funded
· is responsive to defendant needs both now and, in the future,
· contributes to the efficiency and effectiveness of the Criminal Justice System
· is transparent
· is resilient
· is delivered in a way that provides value for money to the taxpayer.
Sir Christopher Bellamy is an arbitrator and mediator at Monckton Chambers and one of the UK’s foremost experts in competition law.
Read full Ministry of Justice press release here.