Andrew Macnab and Valentina Sloane will be speaking at the MBL VAT Update Conference on 5th June 2015.
Andrew Macnab will be speaking on The “Payment Exemption” – A Review & Update:
The “payment” exemption in Article 135(1)(d) of the VAT Directive and Item 1 of Group 5 of Schedule 9 to the VAT Act 1994 continues to vex, with UK courts and the CJEU taking seemingly different approaches to its scope. This session will explore:
- Luxembourg speaks – SDC, CSC
- The UK responds – FDR, Bookit, Axa/Denplan, Everything Everywhere
- Luxembourg speaks again – Axa/Denplan, Everything Everywhere, Velvet & Steel, Tierce Ladbroke, Deutsche Bank, Nordea
- The UK responds – NEC, Way Ahead Group, DPAS
- Next steps (?) – Bookit (again), NEC
Valentina Sloane will be speaking on Input Tax Recovery:
The principles of input tax recovery are easy to state and yet challengingly difficult to apply in practice. The issue of when input tax can be recovered has generated a raft of litigation over the past year. Every VAT practitioner needs to keep abreast of the latest developments in this core area. This session will look at:
- Key Principles – What is actually meant by “direct and immediate link”, “cost component” and “economic use”
- Economic activity
- BAA and Airtours – Recovering VAT on professional services
- Partial exemption – Lok’nStore, Volkswagen Financial Services
- The latest cases from the CJEU
To view the full programme, please click here.