Members of Monckton Chambers have extensive experience advising and representing private and public sector clients from the agricultural, food and fisheries industries. As a result, we have built up a real understanding of the human, technical, economic and policy issues arising in this sector.
- Advised and acted in judicial review challenges for and against government departments raising issues of UK and EC law, including the principle of equal treatment of agricultural businesses
- Acted for various parties in litigation arising from the BSE and foot and mouth disease (FMD) outbreaks, raising issues such as whether or not the Government should have held a public inquiry into the outbreak of FMD, and addressing the interpretation and application of agreements between DEFRA and contractors involved in the clean-up operation following the FMD outbreak
- Advised both public sector and private clients on the application and operation of schemes under the EU Common Agricultural Policy
- Acted in disputes leading to arbitration and mediation proceedings involving various government compensation schemes, including the Older Cattle Disposal Scheme Acted in, and advised on, the lawfulness of compensation schemes and fishery management schemes
- Provided advice and representation on decisions by the Rural Payments Agency on grant payments under the EU Common Agricultural Policy